VANS in Residence
in partnership with UCA
May – June 2018
Eligibility: VANS in Residence accepts applications from professional visual artists who are live/work in NS and are a member in good standing with VANS. All media will be considered. The artist must be willing and able to commit 40 hours per week to the 4-week residency and to the 1-week planning.
Eligible projects: Residencies are available for research, development and production of ongoing or new bodies of work. The selected artist for this residency will create work for installation during UCA. Artists are responsible for ensuring any they have any equipment necessary to their work.
Selection: The resident artists will be selected by a committee made up of VANS staff and representatives from UCA. Applicants will be notified of results within 2 weeks of the application deadline.
Application deadline: Applications must be received by January 19, 2018
Artists must submit the following:
· Artist Statement (1 paragraph)
· Residency Outline including community engagement component (1-2 pages) This should include the plans for the installation as part of UCA, ideas for workshops and public engagement sessions, a basic timeline for the 4 weeks)
· Artist Resume
· Documentation of Work (max 10 images)
· Artists who are not PAINTS artists, please provide a paragraph describing your experience facilitating work with groups in community (intergenerational and/or youth)
Fees: There is no application fee. You must be a member in good standing of Visual Arts Nova Scotia.
Documentation of work requirements: Please do not send originals. Current work is requested. The nature of the work sample submitted should correspond to the nature of the work proposed during the residency. All must be on CD or DVD or shared online and all must be PC compatible.
For still images: Include up to 10 images saved jpg files at 72 dpi with a maximum width of 1024 pixels and a maximum height of 768 pixels in RGB colour mode. Label each image with a number and title.
For video or audio: Include up to 10 minutes of video, digital or sound material. Label each clip with a number and title.
Location: The UCA/VANS residency program will take place in Kings County, Nova Scotia. Living accommodations’ and studio space will be provided at 441 Canard St Port Williams, NS B0P 1T0, Canada (45.132678, -64.408631). This historic home is located adjacent to an organic farm in rural Nova Scotia. The artist will be provided with a large bedroom, separate inside studio space, shared bathroom and fully furnished kitchen facility. Accommodations can be made for a more industrial studio space. Note, this is a rural location not within walking distance to any stores. Please consult Google maps for specifics.
Some work may also take place in area schools, libraries and community centres.
Artist Selection Criteria
The following are points of focus in the assessment of artists’ applications:
· Strength of the applicant’s artistic practice & professionalism.
· Level of experience and interest in working with youth and in community collaborations. This is especially important if you are not already a member of the PAINTS program.
· The articulation of the vision and goals for the residency, relating to both the artist’s own work and the community collaborations.
Questions? Please call or email Andrea Ritchie at 902 423-4694 firstname.lastname@example.org